Thursday, December 21, 2017

CR Brewing Company of New Castle, PA




I had the pleasure of trying the maiden brewing of craft beers just out from CR Brewing in New Castle, PA. Yes, the beers are now on tap at the Crane Room Grille, part of the New Englander complex. There are two offerings – a Kolsch and a Double IPA. Rumor has it there are also two new brews a-brewing: a chocolate stout and a Weiss. First off, I was very impressed with the first releases. After all, I would find it so nerve-racking to go from a home system to a large batch brewing. Well done, head brewer Bryan McDowell.

I had to ask specifically for the house beers, so I didn’t see any promotional material offering the typical whimsical names afforded craft beers. Therefore we will just call them out for their style.


The Kolsch:

True to its name, the CR Kolsch is a light tasting, low alcohol (ABV 5, I believe) beer that boarders the flavors of an ale and a lager. The low hoppiness is perfect for craft beer drinkers who enjoy quality but aren’t fans of the IPAs. Extremely pleasant aroma and taste, this Kolsch only deviates from a traditional Kolsch in the fact that it definitely leans more towards the lager flavors by being a little on the sweet side. Overall: Excellent


The Douple IPA:

Jump in feet first on this IPA, because it is true to its name, Double IPA. Most impressive is the visual clarity of this beer. I assume the little brewery does not have pasteurization or cold-filtering, so I find the light amber clear color of this IPA beautiful. It’s everything you would expect from a double with a hops essence which I imagine are the traditional cascade and/or centennial. If there is any blend of the citrusy hop varieties it is quite aloof. As expected, the ABV is 8-ish. Best served cold, a good IPA is one of my personal favorites of the craft scene, and the CR Double IPA meets the mark on all counts. Overall: Very Good


As I also took a little stroll through the new facility and was impressed with the new addition. While there is plenty of room for private parties or a wedding reception, I saw no areas dedicated to a taproom. Unfortunately, if you’re a craft beer explorer like me, you will have to do your tastings in the Crane Room Grille (or a beer festival like Super Brew IX). With an ambiance which is the furthest thing away from the awesomeness of a taproom, this dark, cramped, lounge bar environment will have to do.






CR Brewing overall: WOW! Their first big scale production is amazing. I can’t wait to try any new offerings.



No comments:

Post a Comment